Dermot Ross & Co - Finance and corporate law
Set out below is the information required by the Rules of Conduct and Client Care for Lawyers of the New Zealand Law Society (the “Law Society”).
Client Care and Service
Whatever legal services we are providing, we must:
- act competently, in a timely way, and in accordance with instructions received and arrangements made
- protect and promote your interests and act for you free from compromising influences or loyalties
- discuss with you your objectives and how they should best be achieved
- provide you with information about the work to be done, who will do it and the way the services will be provided
- charge you a fee that is fair and reasonable and let you know how and when you will be billed
- give you clear information and advice
- protect your privacy and ensure appropriate confidentiality
- treat you fairly, respectfully, and without discrimination
- keep you informed about the work being done and advise you when it is completed
- let you know how to make a complaint and deal with any complaint promptly and fairly
The obligations lawyers owe to clients are described in the Rules of Conduct and Client Care for Lawyers. Those obligations are subject to overriding duties, including duties to the courts and to the justice system. If you have any questions, please either discuss them with us or contact the Law Society at www.lawsociety.co.nz, or on 0800 261 081.
People responsible for your work
We will advise you of the people who will have overall responsibility for your work on each matter.
If you have a complaint about our services or charges please contact us. We may be contacted by:
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- telephone: +64 9 973 1980
The Law Society operates the Lawyers Complaints Service and you are able to make a complaint to that service. To do so phone 0800 261 801 and you will be connected to the nearest Complaints Service Office, which can provide information and advice about making a complaint.
Professional indemnity insurance
We hold professional indemnity insurance that meets or exceeds the minimum standards specified by the Law Society. We will provide you with particulars of the minimum standards upon request.
Lawyers’ Fidelity Fund
The Law Society maintains the Lawyers’ Fidelity Fund to provide protection against client losses arising from theft by lawyers. The most the Fidelity Fund can compensate you is NZ$100,000. The Fidelity Fund will not usually cover loss relating to money a lawyer is instructed to invest on behalf of a client.